Initially, I was gonna go all anal on this Daily Post thing and attempt to respond to each prompt on the day I receive it.
However, this question lent itself so serendipitously to the upcoming week that I decided to forgo answering it until today.
So. My goals. And have I reached them?
Well, as some of my loyal readers know, this venture began thusly. But a little-known yet concurrent reason was that I simply needed a repository for the iPhone photos I was taking to assuage my then-pregnant sister’s wish to live vicariously through me and my outfits.
But I really had no set goals. No desire to monetize; no interest in publicizing; no burning urge to make an impact.
So how does one attain a sense of achievement if one had no initial plan? Well, one makes lists. And here’s mine.
In the measly three months that I’ve “been in the biz”:
- I have gained 50+ followers, only a dozen of whom are friends and family. The rest are legit strangers who’ve honored me with a “follow” without having known me previously.
- I have expanded my intent to include regular feature articles: What’s in my cart; HGB; What’s in my head. Somehow, the fact that I have a reason to post every day (and not just on weekdays) makes this blogging thing a lot more significant. It’s got gravitas now, if you know what I mean.
- I have slowly but surely overcome my fear of the camera. The yearbook staff can attest to this irrational fear I’ve held on to for the past ten years; there is no photo of me in any past yearbooks and they’ve all been warned on pain of emotional dismemberment not to snap any pictures of me. I still subconsciously shy away from a random lens, but I’m a lot less averse. As long as I have final approval of all pictures, of course.
- I have consistently written content for 95 entries, even during times when I’ve been too busy/tired/disinterested/angry/hungry. And since I used to have the nickname Ningas kugon, this is a Very Big Deal in my world.
- I have made some amazing connections with fellow style bloggers who have honored me with their comments, feedback and general encouragement. I thought it would be such a cutthroat community; that I would have to compete in a daily pissing contest of incorporating trends and would be judged if I fell short. Instead, my fellow fashionistas have been nothing but supportive of my humble offering and I am eternally grateful to them.
And now, we’re coming up on a milestone. This Friday will mark my 100th post on this blog. That’s a century, my friends. A centennial. An epoch, even. And that is certainly enough cause for celebration. But what is even more important is the fact that I’m still going strong; I still have loads to say. I don’t foresee myself ending this escapade anytime soon.
Now, I can’t promise that I won’t morph into something else. By the next 100 posts, I might be an entirely different beast.
Or I might not. There’s no predicting the future after all. Which is the problem with goals, yeah? Too much expectation and usually not enough payout. So I say NO! to goals. I don’t need no stinkin’ goals. I’m just gonna take the blogging one day at a time, enjoying the journey.
I hope you keep me company along the way.