OOTD :: of subtlety and not-cougars

1.7.14

1.7.14

1.7.14

I’ve come a long way from fearing that leopard print would launch me into the realm of cougar-dom.

Now, I embrace it as a neutral that my cool-toned self can happily wear. Even if the typical leopard print consists of browns and creams which are not really my colors, the fact that it’s a print helps mitigate the wrongness of it against my skin.

Or so I tell myself.

Of course, by pairing it today with a camel blazer, I’m definitely pushing the boundaries of appropriate colors. I know the camel makes me look washed out, but I’m hoping the cream of the shirt balances it out. I also deliberately put on super saturated lipstick to make my face look less dead.

And because there is still lurking dread of looking like a Jersey Shore extra, I decided to do my print on print in a more subtle way: pairing the bold leopard skirt with the leopard shoe. I’ve got enough leg separating these two elements so they don’t clash or appear garish worn together. I’ve also kept my accessorizing down to a bare minimum. So this ensemble isn’t as in-your-face as yesterday’s; rather, it’s a classy way to keep with the week’s theme when using such a bold pattern.

Rawr.

Top – H&M
Blazer – Merona @ Target
SkirtMerona @ Target
PumpsSole Society
Necklace – F21

Tagged , , , , , ,

10 thoughts on “OOTD :: of subtlety and not-cougars

1. Val Sparkle says:

Love the shoes! I keep wondering when the leopard trend will die out, but it seems to still be breathing on its own. It’s too cool to die!

2. dapperdolly says:

Very chic and smart as always! I find animal prints are safe with matching or muted colours too and like another poster said with a pop of complimentary colour. But it’s also the attitude, you won’t come off look tacky if you wear them comfortably and maturely and you do 🙂
    x

Always love hearing from you, m’dear. Praise from such a glamorous fashionista is high praise indeed. 🙂

This was my favorite outfit in recent memory (until tomorrow…lol).

4. Nadia says:

Relax, leopard print is definitely not out there anymore! I love the tones of your skirt, but if the average browny print scares you off, look out for a darker print or maybe even one that is washed in another colour. Know you’re scared of the hookish realm, but I think a spot of red would have made this outfit pop! (Red lip pie and heels + white button + the skirt.)

Oooh! A red scarf! That would’ve been perfection! I am wearing a red lip today, just not in the pic (took these over the weekend) so I must have subconsciously been thinking “pop of color”. I’ve also been eyeing blue leopard print because of my TARDIS/Doctor Who obsession but those items are few and far between and/or out of my price range.