OOTD :: of maybe purples, maybe blues

1.14.14

1.14.14

1.14.14

This was a fun surprise purchase.

I was at jcp, returning a plaid skirt – one of the many I’ve purchased this month and have since returned – when the sale rack at the Joe Fresh area called out to me. I’m currently smitten with cobalt and need to build my cobalt wardrobe, so this dress immediately caught my eye.

Some might quibble that it’s not really cobalt – it’s borderline purple, I admit – but when you pair it with a definitely cobalt shoe, then it passes muster. I deliberately added the gold accessories because it makes everything pop even more.

Again, I toyed with throwing on a blue blazer but ma fille précoce was quick to ixnay that idea. I have trained that girl well, I tell ya, because rethinking the blue blazer allowed me to pull out this white number that has not seen the light of day since I bought it two seasons ago.

I might be angering the rest of the country with this spring-ready ensemble; will it help if I tell you that the sun went away at this point and it got a bit chilly – 63ºF, to be exact? Okay, shutting up now…

Some of you may be wondering where the tie is in this outfit. It’s actually a hair bow clipping back my hair, a present from my intrepid TA. Is it cheating? Perhaps. But I won’t tell anyone if you won’t.

Dress  – Joe Fresh
Blazer – Nordstrom Rack
PumpsJanine @ Payless
NecklaceF21
Hair bow – F21

Tagged , , , , , , , ,

18 thoughts on “OOTD :: of maybe purples, maybe blues

1. I love those shoes! They pair perfectly with the dress, and even though they “match,” it’s not at all matchy-matchy!

2. Gillie says:

After your lovely comment on my blog I am terrified of failing to be English enough . I’ll chuck in a “what ho!” and “lashings and lashings of ginger beer” every now and then to keep my credibility up. Meanwhile that is definitely cobalt blue and it definitely looks great on you and if you tire of your arm candy I am happy to put my minimalist aspirations to one side.

I have no idea what “lashings and lashings” means but I’m positively giddy, which is good in most situations but may not be apropos in the middle of Sustained Silent Reading. (Am at work, don’t you know.) And now I must ask – qu’est-ce que c’est? And also, is it pronounced “Jillie” or “Gillie”?

• Gillie says:

en francais ou anglais? 😉

Lashings and lashing means lots and lots. Very Enid Blyton and the Famous Five.

It’s pronounced Gillie with a soft G. However, the first tiem I went to the States in the early seventies the name Gillian was much less common and I had a lot of problems getting people to pronounce my name right. On the other hand I provided hours of endless entertainment with my accent and my insistence on calling trucks lorries – particularly for a girl called Laurie who would endlessly point at trucks and ask me what they were.

Ah, parles-tu francais? Perhaps I can brush the dust off mine and we can converse? ;p

LOL. The Laurie anecdote made me smile. Thanks loads. That’s proper British, right? Or is it heaps?

• Gillie says:

Thanks loads is spot on!

Nous pouvons parler en francais si tu veux, mais mon vocabulaire est un peux restricte – le plupart du dossiers que je lit sont medicaux! Peut-etre mieux d’ecrire en anglais 🙂

3. The cobalt-y / royal blue in that dress is fab on you – love that color!

Thank you, my friend. I’m also channeling my inner Lisa with the arm candy. Hope I succeeded just a little bit. 😉

4. dapperdolly says:

A couple of those poses look difficult on the back! I love the Blue – so stunning – and from a distance the print almost looks like fleur de lis, also stunning! Very nice accessories, rockin’ it all!
    x

• dapperdolly says:

Oops I mean Blueish Purple hehe.

Yeah, I do tend to contort my body in the name of fashion. LOL. And you’re gonna have to walk me through the fleur de lis thing coz I feel like one of those people who squint and squint but can’t make the 3D artwork pop out.

• dapperdolly says:

Lol it’s just when I saw the thumbnails of your photos it looked like you were wearing fleur de lis but then when I opened the post I saw it was floral… not too far off ahem 😀

I was one of those annoying kids who always saw the 3D artwork in my comics every week so you’ve spotted one of my quirks 😉

5. I love the little Scottie dogs on your bracelet! My 5 year old daughter and I share an obsession over Scottie dogs. 🙂

Oh, it’s actually multiple breeds of dogs. We had a blat trying to identify them all and we’re still stuck on two. Available at H&M…

6. This is such a lovely dress! Love the color and the pattern of it! You have styled it wonderfully! Looks very pretty! Thanks for sharing the photographs 🙂
    Do drop by my blog as well : http://littlebookoffashion.wordpress.com/

Thanks so much for dropping by and for your lovely compliments. You are equally deserving of praise – your blog is gorgeous!