5 Things :: what I can keep reading ad infinitum

In honor of T3 launching this week, how’s about a list of the top 5 series I keep closest to my heart?

Yup, I said series. Because that’s how much I love to read, yo! One book just ain’t gonna cut it; it has to be at least a duology if it wants to earn prime real estate on my bookshelves.

These, then, are the books that have stood the test of time. That have traveled with me from my childhood home to our newlywed condo to our starter home and who now lord over the newbies with beneficent grace in our current home.

If I was stranded on a deserted Arctic tundra – because, you know, I hate the heat so an island just won’t do – these are the books I’d lug with me to keep me company.

1. the Belgariad – An orphan boy of humble beginnings, an ageless aunt, a wizened wanderer. Magic, a call to adventure, Bogart/Bacall repartee and five wondrous books plus five more in the accompanying sequel series. What is there not to love?

2. the Dragonriders of Pern – I began with the Harper Hall trilogy because the librarian probably thought it to be the most accessible to a then ten-year-old, but I became a rabid fan after I devoured the Dragonriders trilogy and I’ve never looked back.

3. the Chronicles of Prydain – Because before Disney got a hold of it and ruined The Black Cauldron, this sweeping saga of Welsh lore captured my heart by making a hero of an Assistant Pig-Keeper.

4. Harry Potter – Does this one even need any explanation?

5. the Dark is Rising series – This is the Arthurian legend done right. Don’t let the awful movie or the thinness of the volumes fool you; this is not just a children’s tale. It is dark and deep and symbolic and I dare you not to weep when you get to the end of the fifth book.

So there you have it, folks. My top 5 series. In hindsight, I realize they’re all fantasy-driven but that’s to be expected as I’m such a fantasy nut. Perhaps at a later date, I’ll share with you my top 5 YA books. Or my top 5 romances. Or my top 5 tearjerkers…

2.16.14

Week in review – May the dots forever be in your favor!

Tagged , ,

16 thoughts on “5 Things :: what I can keep reading ad infinitum

1. When I was younger The Chronicles of Prydain was my all-time favorite series of books. I re-read multiple times and still love it. In fact, I just got the set for my nephew for Christmas!

Oh, lucky nephew to have such a discerning aunt! Glad I’m not the only one who treasures this series. And thanks for stopping by, Gracie! I feel “graced” by your presence (I know; I couldn’t resist).

2. dapperdolly says:

A-ha! Another fantasy nerd! I love it 😀 and yes I mean fantasy. I love sci-fi and YA too but pure fantasy is where my heart is at particularly comic fantasy!

Now seeing as there’s tons and tons in the area nowadays I’ve only read the Harry Potter series on your list but the Belgariad series appeals to me most – will have to see if any of my local libraries have them or put in an order.

Oh btw I picked up my book for this week’s T3 yesterday, now I just have to lose some weight since I ate way too much over the weekend and my face will be bloated on camera otherwise :-S

Then you will absolutely adore the Belgariad if you like comic fantasy. Granted, it’s not LOL comedy like the Xanth series or the MYTH series, but it’s got comic bits and the characters are brilliant. I’ve been thinking about rereading them, actually.

Yay! Can’t wait to see what you have for T3! Perhaps it’s a new book I need to read? ;p

• dapperdolly says:

Nah you’ve probably read it already particularly as an English teacher, or maybe it crosses over into history on your side of the pond – not sure but either way it’s very probably that you know it 🙂

Not long now!

3. I’m definitely going to borrow this topic for a Top Five Tuesday post, and Harry Potter will definitely be on it! Of your list I’ve only read HP and the Chronicles of Prydain.

Back in my day there was just science fiction – Ray Bradbury, Robert Heinlein. But fantasy has never been my thing – I guess that’s where our kindred spirits part company. Do you think it’s generational? I don’t know anyone really into fantasy who was born before 1962.

Now can I tell you my five favorite books? Atonement, The Poisonwood Bible, The Secret History, Villette, Jane Eyre, and To Kill a Mockingbird. Oops, that’s six. I never was good at math.

Well, we at least have that. The no good at math thing. Neither am I. ;p

It must be generational because when I took sci-fi/fantasy courses at CAL, all the professor kept focusing on was the former and not the latter and he was definitely born before ’62.

I’ve only read the last two books on your list. Mockingbird is a classic fave of mine too. Ooooh, that’s another 5 things list: my top 5 novels no high school student should graduate without having read.

5. The red denim jacket is awesome. I like that outfit