BONUS OOTD :: of Anais, Algonquin and androgyny

3.1.14

3.1.14

3.1.14

Do you prefer it untucked?

3.1.14

Or tucked?

Two movies stick out in my mind as seminal films during my wild and wooly youth: Henry and June and Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle.

The first holds the dubious honor of being the first NC-17 movie aired in the U.S. and trust me, it was well-deserving of the rating. The second was an indie film made by then-indie-now-commercialized Miramax Films and it made me feel quite the elitist for having heard of it, let alone for having watched it.

Both, however, are significant to me stylistically because, a. by dint of time and imprecise memory, they have morphed in my mind to represent all things 20s, thus fitting in nicely with this week’s theme, and b. the themes inherent in them touch a lot on duality. And being the consummate Gemini, you know I’m all about duality.

In Henry and June, sexuality becomes this fluid thing, with both men and women taking control in opposite- and same-sex couplings. Androgyny is also featured prominently; this was, after all, gay Paree in the 20s. Think absinthe, louche living, and women wearing trousers and smoking cigars with élan.

In Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle, the sparkle and rapier wit of the members of the Algonquin Round Table was portrayed as merely a backdrop to the despair and alcoholic ennui rife amongst its members. For all that Dorothy Parker was clever and renowned, she ended up alone and sad and forgotten.

Today’s bonus outfit hopefully captures this duality: it’s femme in its fluid lines, beaded detailing (the collar of the top, better seen here), sassy blue cloche and strappy sandals, and yet it’s got masculine elements in the structured piped blazer and almost-too-slouchy trousers. I think it’s a perfect way to end my trip through the Roaring 20s. And it’s a perfect way to showcase un chapeau for Judith’s Hat Attack linkup.

Hope you all enjoyed the extra OOTD post. Happy weekend!

Top – F21
Blazer – Merona @ Target
Trousers – NY&Co.
Sandals – gift from Mom
HateBay

Hat Attack @ Style Crone

Tagged , , , , ,

17 thoughts on “BONUS OOTD :: of Anais, Algonquin and androgyny

1. stylecrone says:

So happy to have found your blog. You have a great sense of style and your writing is exquisite. I am a fan of royal blue, and your cloche tops off your 20’s look with perfection. Thank you for sharing with Hat Attack!

2. dapperdolly says:

I can’t decide whether I like it tucked or otherwise, it simply works 🙂 as does the whole outfit. Your aura in this photos takes smart-casual to a semi-suave level and I say semi because the hat adds cuteness 😀

The hat is pretty cute, isn’t it? I’m trying SO hard not to go out and immediately buy every single color. I’m learning that I like hats and if I keep the brim small and narrow, I can get away with wearing them at work. Less hair maintenance in the morning? I’m in! ;p

First, I have to bust into your conversation with Connie. I was on the Queen Mary as a child – sailing across the Atlantic. I’m going to write about it on April 1 for a specific anniversary.

I saw both those movies and remember very little about them.

So, moving on to your outfit. I say untucked, but then you should button that fab jacket. And I am learning so much from you! And Angie. Garment grin – who knew?

I know, right? Angie is style extraordinaire. I learn SO much from her. She’s also the reason I know I’m really just a fashion hack and probably won’t be quitting my day job any time soon to pursue this thing beyond a hobby.

You sailed the Atlantic. In the Queen Mary. I’m so jealous right now, you don’t even know.

I would button the fab jacket if it fit across my ample bosom. ;p

4. Speaking of movies, did you ever see Milo and Otis? There’s a line at the end that’s a part of our family lexicon where Otis, bragging about his new bride says, “And she’s smart, too!!” That would be you. 🙂 Love the hat. Have you ever tried the half-tuck? I swear by it. XXOO

LOL. Believe it or not, it was half-tucked in the second triptych. I swear by the half-tuck as well; in fact, when I say “tucked”, I always mean “half”. That said, I guess it’s all moot when there’s a completer piece involved, yeah?

I’ve not seen Milo and Otis but thanks for the compliment and for stopping by. ;p

5. Fabulous masculine/feminine look! I saw Henry and June but never heard of Mrs. Parker. Must investigate.

Oh, it’s terrifically sparkly and brilliant. You must watch it. At least, I think it’s a must-watch. My ancient memory, you know…

6. Connie Snow* says:

Just terrific Marciel! Loved both of these movies but then, I am a jazz era NUT! Love the hat and the whole masculine/feminine vibe. Trivia: I spent my wedding day drinking champagne in the lobby of the Algonquin Hotel with my new husband and all the ghosts of the Round Table.

• Connie Snow* says:

What a second. Did I just misuse a comma?

So it’s still there? And functional? I’d love to visit someday. Did you really feel the ghosts the way I do whenever I visit Hearst Castle? What fun!

• Connie Snow* says:

There’s a lot of history there for sure!! I have no doubt that the ghosts were rolling their eyes and correcting my grammar. I am a punctuation over user and abuser!!!!!! And Hearst Castle. Yikes! Have you ever visited the Queen Mary?

You know what they say: Visit a place for a week and see everything; visit it a month and see some things; live in a place and see nothing. I’m probably a crow’s flight away from the Queen Mary but have never been. Sad, yeah?