OOTD :: of ambivalence, epiphanies and back to front

4.10.14

4.10.14

4.10.14

Huh. So I was able to participate in Anne’s challenge after all.

Because I’m clearly wearing this kimono backwards.

So here’s how that came about: I’ve actually owned this piece for quite some time. It’s had its run-ins with the cull pile, the sell pile and even the give-to-Aly pile. But every time I’d think I’d seen it’s last days, something urged me to fish it out and stash it away for a rainy day.

The reason I’ve been ambivalent about this piece in the first place is because of that silly tie. It’s attached to the kimono and therefore insists that it be used. The thing is, the tie is located at the exact spot on my torso that, when cinched, makes me look like a stumpy Oompa Loompa. I usually belt right under the boob line (empire cut, how I love thee!) or slung loosley right above the pelvic bone because I have no waist to speak of.

So, yeah. The kimono. I had toyed with just cutting off the sash but then I thought it’d look weird because the obi-esque part in the back would seem silly and unfinished without it. And although I loved the print to death, I despaired of ever making this piece work for me.

But then, like a sliver of lightning slicing a sullen sky, I had a thought: backwards, perhaps? And wouldn’t you know? It works! Not only can we now see more of that fabulous print when worn this way, it’s also cut in such a way that I don’t get that I’m-choking-and-look-really-stupid-because-it’s-obvious-I’m-wearing-this-backwards feeling.

So thank you, Anne, for the challenge that inspired this look. You have rescued a piece from discard or obscurity. This kimono is supremely grateful.

Top – Stylemint
Kimono – F21
Jeans – Aeropostale
Pumps – Janine @ Payless
Necklace – eBay

52 Pick-me-up @ SpyGirl

Tagged , , , , ,

12 thoughts on “OOTD :: of ambivalence, epiphanies and back to front

Wow! I actually received this through my inbox. You looked stunning today!

Another gorgeous outfit! I think this has been my favorite week of your styles – the kimonos are all beautiful, and they look so good with your long dark hair.

I’ll be sure to relay that bit to my husband. He’s always on me about keeping my hair long and I guess looking good in kimonos is a definite plus for it. He’s vindicated and I get compliments. A win-win in my book! 😀

3. “like a sliver of lightning slicing a sullen sky”: permission to borrow that? So good. And so’s the kimono, you look fabulous.

It’s not copyrighted, but I’d appreciate a link back here if you use it. ;p Just kidding. Permission granted. 🙂 I love alliteration. And alliteration with imagery? Fuggedaboutit! ;p

4. eahlay says:

Great idea! I’ve had my eye on some kimonos but I want to wear them without making it look like I’m walking around in a public in a nightgown cover up. I may give this a try.

I think the cut, pattern and fabric also determine that bedroom factor you’re talking about. Today’s kimono is silky and therefore walked that fine line, so I’m glad I found a way to circumvent that. ;p

5. Connie Snow* says:

I think Anne may have magical powers. That kimono looks so right.

6. This is beautiful! I love that you kept the rest of the look super simple and really let the top shine. 🙂