OOTD :: of halter necks, sexiness and thoughtful dressing

5.15.14

5.15.14

5.15.14

I have Connie @ Snow in the Air to thank for this month’s T3 book, The Thoughtful Dresser.

It’s not my usual reading fare, being non-fiction and all, but the author, Linda Grant, has a knack for storytelling so she was able to fool my finicky, fantasy/YA/sci-fi-consuming self. I managed to trundle through the first half of the book engrossed and engaged, and armed with Post-its, I marked up the fascinating quotes that have peppered my previous posts. I hope you’ve enjoyed reading them as much as I.

And then I hit a reading slump. I don’t blame Grant; in fact, I doubt anything could’ve gotten me out of it, even my beloved YA brain candy. Things just got cray-cray at work and rather than taking advantage of the 20 minutes of SSR at the beginning of each class block, I frantically graded papers instead. I know. Bad role model. But things had to get done.

So I’m here to tell you that I can’t whole-heartedly recommend this book since I have yet to finish it, and what if it takes a turn for the worse in the latter half of it? I’d hate for you to have squandered your time and energy and money (although I did borrow my copy free from the library) because of me. I’ll update you if and when I finally get around to the end.

In the meantime, I leave you with the excerpt I chose specifically to coincide with today’s 50s-inspired halter dress:

Sexy is not the desire to have sex. Sexy is not what turns on the person looking at you. Sexy is a state of mind, of understanding that under all the drapery there is a body, and inside the body are instincts and desires. Sexy is a state of being. It’s a way of knowing you’re alive. It’s the sensual relationship of skin to cloth.

Many women when they reach middle age, or menopause, cease to feel that they are women, or women who are endorsed by male attention. Their clothes announce their resignation; they’ve resigned from being women. They’re resigned to no longer being looked at…

I now believe, as I used not to, that without some element of muted sexiness women don’t feel entirely themselves…We can forget for many a long year to be or feel or look sexy. WE can rebel against sexy…We can give up, or be too depressed or too downtrodden, but if you put a woman in a very sexy dress and show her her own reflection in a mirror, she will first weep and then laugh.

Because it is necessary, this desire to be sexy; it’s the deep part of who we are. It’s all the difference.

I feel sexy in this dress, bared arms and all. I hope you’ve felt the same at least once this week, if not more. Let’s all celebrate being beautiful, wonderful, sexy women! Go on and click on the blue froggy and link up! I want to see your gorgeous selves and/or your gorgeous creations!

: Just the facts, ma’am ::
Dress – eBay
  Necklace – gift from my son
Cardi – F21
Pumps – Payless

Tagged , , , , , ,

26 thoughts on “OOTD :: of halter necks, sexiness and thoughtful dressing

1. […] Linking up with: Thoughtful Third Thursday, What I Wore to Work, Lovely Thursdays, Three-Fer Thursday, Tres-Chic Fashion […]

2. […] Linking up with: Thoughtful Third Thursday, What I Wore to Work, Lovely Thursdays, Three-Fer Thursday, Tres-Chic Fashion […]

The cut of this dress truly is sexy, and you looked beautiful today.

4. Lovely, lovely dress on you. You look gorgeous. I’m linking up in just a bit; better late than never, right?!

Never late, Gracey! The linky is up for a week. I look forward to seeing your contribution and I apologize again for not being able to reciprocate on yours last week. When does your Literary Stylings linkup go live again? Is it at the beginning of each month?

5. I’m lucky to have a partner who tells me I’m sexy all the time. I’m 43 and disabled, so it really makes a difference to be told.

As for my literary posts, I posted stuff not about what I’m reading at this moment, but rather about various genre and my reflections on them. Each outfit goes with the genre. In fact, often, the outfit is what makes me think about a genre. So, this month: children’s literature and looking Jewish, pulp fiction and all-girl prisons, and fairy tales and Alphonse Mucha. I hope you all like it.

I was first introduced to Mucha when I’d just graduated college, got a place of my own – no sisters or roommates – and needed to feel grown up. I went to Z Gallerie (do they even still exist) and bought a whole bunch of framed art on the cheap. At the time, I thought I was so adult, buying home decor that didn’t involve rock bands. Mucha was one of the artists that caught my eye, along with Klee and Kandinsky. I still own all those framed prints.

• I kind of say some mean things about Mucha in this post but the beauty of his work is undeniable. I too am also a fan of Klee and Kandinsky.

I don’t think you were mean at all. Unless you wrote about him again? I was perusing the one about strong women and being feared for their strength? Regardless, I do agree that sometimes we have to separate the creator from the creation in order to give either one its due.

You look absolutely beautiful!!! What an amazing outfit!X

Thanks for the compliment and for the visit! I, too, am enraptured by this dress. And the bet part is that I didn’t have to be in a torsette/corset to feel fab in it!

Sexy is a state of mind – agree x 1,000! And this dress is one of my favorite styles and shapes of all time. U look fab, xox

It’s funny but even though this dress has the same troublesome length I went on and on about in a post not too long ago, I don’t mind it here. Must be the swingy-ness of the cut?

8. Flat out gorgeous, you are! Our Maricel, channeling Marilyn!

It was inadvertent channeling, I tell ya! You can thank Fontana winds and a super light cotton dress for that action shot. ;p

9. Connie Snow* says:

Maricel! I can’t believe that I made it in this week. I live in Carlsbad and we were evacuated due to the wild fires all day yesterday. The poinsettia fire was ONE BLOCK from my house! But I grabbed the dog, clean underwear, my laptop and a book. I totally forgot my camera which is a shame because I was wearing a very cute dress. Blogging is a GREAT de-stresser!!!!!

Oh, no! I bet your distress scale was off the charts! I’m so sorry you had to go through that but it makes me giggle just a bit to hear you at least had a very cute dress on. 😀 And the fact that you were still able to come up with a T3 contribution? That’s true blogger dedication, my friend! Hats off to you!

• Oh Connie! How stressful. I once lived in an area at risk for summer forest fires, and I would replay the things I would put in my car. Life is simpler now…cats…and computer. Take Care!

10. Connie Snow* says:

Like you, I liked certain parts of the book and others sent me into a stupor. But if it inspired you to dress like this then I would have to give it pretty high marks.

Yeah, I’m thinking I’ll just return it to the library and perhaps keep the good memories of it immortalized here. “Stupor” is an apt word.

Another pretty dress! I think this full-skirted style really suits you, and the floral print is just delicious!

I read The Thoughtful Dresser, too. Is this the same copy that Jan sent out (to me first, then I sent it to Alice)? I couldn’t relate to Ms. Grant at all. My upbringing was so different – her London, my small town, her mother paying attention to labels and designers, my mother paying attention to price. I didn’t finish the book, and I didn’t enjoy the parts I read. Oh, well. If it’s responsible for this outfit, wow!

Connie offered to loan it but I was too impatient so I borrowed my copy form the library.

Her upbringing was actually similar to mine, but yes – in retrospect, perhaps she was the reason I stopped reading. After a while, I felt weighed down, like what I was reading felt super dense and Post-its were becoming a chore.

This outfit actually came before the book since I create primarily based on Anne’s Pick-me-up challenge, but the quote was a symbiotic fit.

12. Looooooove your dress! So cute 🙂

Thank you! It’s from an eBay seller in Germany and the link I left behind should take you to the storefront if you were interested in acquiring one of your own. I can totally see you sporting this look!

13. Gorgeous! I felt sexy in Monday’s outfit this week (it’ll be in my Weekly Outfit Recap post tomorrow). It’s a nice feeling, no?

Can’t wait to see the sexy beastiness of it! ;p And yes, it is definitely a nice feeling, especially when one is usually in “mommy” or “teacher” mode where femininity needs/must be tamped down for propriety’s sake.