OOTD :: of creative layering and clever pattern juxtaposition

5.19.14

5.19.14

5.19.14

For those of you who are familiar with Custo tops and felt slightly betrayed by yesterday’s offering, I hope today is more to your liking.

This top’s got the signature Custo “complex and colorful graphical prints and intricate textile finishing” that started my Mad Hunt for them in the first place. It’s juxtaposition personified. Because who else could think up and get away with combining a mustard-yellow African princess graphic with a TARDIS blue 60s mod swirl? Not just that, but to then add grey mesh sleeves to the pairing? It’s either madness or genius, doncha think?

And can I get a “woot-woot!” for my kicking it up a notch and pairing a too-tight top with skinny jeans? Yesterday, Selah reminded me that we are our own worst critics and I should just embrace me, warts and all. So today, I’m not even gonna go self-deprecating on you and mention anything remotely denigrating about my body.

Instead, I’m gonna point out that I’m feeling particularly proud of this creation because I pulled a Lisa and layered a bejeweled tank underneath the Custo which resulted in two positives: 1) seemingly counterproductive because of the extra layer, the polyester fabric of the tank acts like a slip and makes the cotton of the Custo pull away from my body, thus minimizing visible bulges (Argh! So much for no denigrating comments!), and 2) the high collar adds visual modesty to an otherwise low-cut neckline. And let’s not overlook the fact that the gems on the collar mimic the colors of the Custo.

Necessity is the mother of invention, right?

Top – Custo Barcelona @ eBay
Bejeweled tank – F21
Skinnies – Gap
Smoking slippersG-stage

Style Sessions @ Style Elixir
Stylish Tuesday @ Life’s a Party

Tagged , , , , ,

18 thoughts on “OOTD :: of creative layering and clever pattern juxtaposition

1. I love the colours in your outfit. You are able to carry off bold and bright hues without them over powering you. Love how you’ve styled a blouse underneath with pretty jewels on. I’ve just started following you on bloglovin. I will leave my link in case you’re interested. (ST)

Oh, thank you for the follow! It’s always great to meet new people on the blogoverse! I shall check out your blog now! 😀

2. Seeker says:

Looking gorgeous, dear!! Love all the details and the Bejeweled tank was such a nice adition. Also love the colour combo. Perfect as always you are.
    Thank you so much for dropping by my blog and left such kind notes. Glad you liked my new hair style, I’ve been in doubts.
    Keep stylish
    xoxo

Hullo, Seeker! Long time no see! I totally missed this comment the first time around; so sorry for the late response. I absolutely love your new haircut! You should not doubt it at all. It suits you to a tee – so very chic and classy!

3. Beautiful blouse – it’s one of my fave layering pieces too. You always look fab in the blue bright cobalt!

Yep. Always thought the color was reserved for my BFF with her blue, blue eyes but I think I may just adopt it as my official signature color. 🙂

Great details! It’s funny, but the Custo top almost plays second fiddle to the bejeweled collar and those cool little zips on the jeans. Fun outfit!

The zips were a fun surprise when I got these jeans in, but they sure do make noise when I walk. Like belling the cat. ;p

woot! the back of that top is fantastic (so’s the front), great picks! xox

6. I LOVE this with the skinny jeans. It’s perfect!

I was almost loathe to pair it with the jeans for fear I’d be too blue, but who’m I kidding? All blue, all day, baby! ;p

Yes, Selah…I think she is confusing tight and clingy. Maricel, no more unkind comments about your body. You are perfectly lovely.

Interestingly, I wasn’t even conscious of the sleeves as such until you mentioned them. I actually interpreted the top as bare armed and had to scroll back up!

8. Are you confusing tight and clingy? This top doesn’t look too small at all! However, either the fabric or the cut (or both) may make the top cling to you (this is successfully mitigated by the “slip” tank). I have the same issue with a particular tee – I need to remember to wear a slip under it next time!

Hrm…you mean there’s a difference? ;p I guess in my book, “tight” and “clingy” are one and the same. Slips ftw!

• Ha! To me tight means that something is smaller than my body, and therefore uncomfortable to wear. Clingy means that the fabric sticks to my body / other clothes and is therefore unflattering, but not uncomfortable. Slips help with clingy, Spanx help with tight (but ugh, Spanx 😛 ).