Thrilled for Thursdays #2

:: Daytripping to IKEA ::

because I suck at being a summer mom

Let’s face it – I am not a SAHM.

I don’t think like a stay at home mom. I don’t plan like a stay at home mom. I don’t have the resources, the imagination or the wherewithal of a stay at home mom.

But when summertime hits, I have to be a SAHM. And – desperate – I end up doing really ridiculous things like taking my kids to IKEA for the day and spinning it to sound like it’ll be an adventure.

How do I manage to convince the kiddos that what is ultimately an errand run for me is supposedly a fun day for them?

Step 1: Lull them into submission with a long car trip. The nearest IKEA is a good 30 minutes away going a steady 80 in the carpool lane. They took lovely naps.

6.26.14

Step 2: Feed them. Did you know that IKEA not only opens at 8:30 am on weekdays, they also serve a lovely breakfast buffet for practically pennies? An IHOP-esque meal for three was under $20 and that was splurging on chocolate milk, even! Bonus points: you can wheel your trays around in a cool cart and bus your own tables, all while immersed in a very slick European ambiance.

6.26.14

Step 3: Actually follow the arrows on the ground that leads you, mouse-in-a-maze-like, around the entire store. Pretend it’s a treasure hunt. Stop at every single display set and insist on pictures.

6.26.14

Step 4: Allow for one souvenir a piece. Point out useless little knickknacks after checking to make sure that nothing costs above $10.

6.26.14

Step 5: Pretend that robots have taken over the planet and disguises are a must or risk being destroyed. Cybermen, anyone?

6.26.14

So how convincing was I? So much so that I even managed to sneak in a quick trip to the library to pick up my holds and neither kiddo let out so much as a peep of protest.

6.26.14

Hallelujah! I may just have pulled off the con of the century!

Tagged ,

17 thoughts on “Thrilled for Thursdays #2

1. Haha! The hubs and I actually went to IKEA for the first time when we were at our son’s house near Pittsburgh a few weeks ago. OMG…we could live there.
    Debbie

Hey, that’s actually a great idea for a story! You’d have everything you needed too – right down to the food and stuff!

2. Ahhhh you sneaky mom, you! I’ve never been to IKEA, but they’re building one in Kansas City, so I’ll get to visit super soon! Sounds like you had a fun day!

If Bass Pro Shops is a grown man’s Disneyland, then IKEA is a grown woman’s. So many tchotchkes to play with! You must visit and let us know how it went.

You do make it sound like fun!!! I like going to IKEA anyway, if I’m in the right mood, and I think I probably would have even liked it as a kid.

I love the disguises – I hope the robots didn’t see you!

4. Shoot, take me with you to IKEA next time, I love browsing that place – and cheap soft serve ice cream!

What?! Soft serve ice cream? Now that deserves a repeat visit! I feel a need for more storage boxes coming on. ;p

I love roaming around IKEA, though I rarely buy big stuff (just placemats and pillows). Great little breakfast you scored! xo

We bought our first bedroom set as a married couple from IKEA but then “graduated” to real furniture after that collapsed over time. I hear if you buy the higher-end stuff, it lasts longer?

6. jangrahammcmillen says:

I’m stunned. There are no Ikea stores that I know of around here, but they look pretty fabulous. I’ve always thought that every dress store ought to have a Man Cave area with recliners and TV and beer, maybe. Dan’s happy with just a chair with a back! Ikea REALLY does it right. Food and shopping. What a concept.
    Your family is adorbs. Hope you continue to enjoy the vacation.

My hubs doesn’t think of it as a man cave when we go, though. But maybe if I spin it as such, our next trip together will be profoundly more satisfying? Thanks; I can’t claim 100% of the adorbs but 50% ain’t bad, eh?

7. Maricel, this is pretty much exactly what SAHMs do. If I never took my kids on errands (which I don’t even bother to pretend are anything but), I’d never get anything done!

8. I used to do that with my kiddos when they were smaller. It was great.

At the end I used to by them the $.50 hot dogs for snack.