The :: MCC :: Summer Edition is drawing to a close and this may just be the penultimate Thrilled for Thursday feature.
(I’ve yet to decide if my summer ends when my kids go back to school or when I go back to school; I’ll let you know).
To commemorate what I think is a pretty successful run of the summer special, I shall highlight the things that really thrilled me this summer. In no particular order, then:
1. Trying new restaurants – You know those places that are in the periphery of your mind when you think of places to eat, but when push comes to shove they get shoved aside for your tried and true favorites? Yeah. I would never have thought to have lunch at an ice cream parlor and I wouldn’t do it again any time soon, but boy those sundaes were enormous! And they make a mean chili cheese fry plate. We also tried The Old Spaghetti Factory, Pieology, Menchie’s and Benihana (new for the kids; not me) before it just got too hot to live the comfort of my A/C-ed house.
2. Going to the beach – I still won’t go into the water. And I still maintain I’m not a beach person. But, as with all things, it really only takes the right combination of chemistry, timing and temperature to make things copacetic. The hubs doesn’t do beach either; he prefers to drive down the coast and point out the water, but my team member, Nav, used to be a water polo stud in high school. And when he invited me and the kiddos to Newport Beach and then proceeded to get in the water with the kids and actually show them how to swim in the ocean while I got to sit under an umbrella and write my story to the tune of crashing Pacific waves? In balmy 80 degree temps? Well, that’s just my idea of a perfect summer day.
3. Fontana Arts Camp – I’ve already spoken of this miracle camp, but it bears repeating how thrilled I am of it. Not only is it obscenely affordable, it taught Aly loads of things, she made tons of new friends, she got a taste of performing, and it gave me days of uninterrupted 8 hours of writing time. I’m definitely re-enrolling her next summer!
4. Summer Hits of the 90s Pandora station – My lifesaver. I need music to function and this station plays a variety of music that has just the right amount of familiarity and novelty that I’m not constantly checking to see “who sang this awesome song?” and interrupting my writing mojo but I’m also not stagnating, listening to the same things over and over again. As I told Patti @ Not Dead Yet:
I thought I was an 80s pop queen but realized my formative music years were from when I was in college and beyond and this station just makes me so happy!
5. My study area/treadmill/Fitbit – Also spoke of the latter two here and here, but I’d like to reiterate how I’ve become a true believer in the value of exercise. Anytime I get stuck in my story, I leap up and do a good ten minutes of brisk walking on the treadmill. Not only does this break my writer’s block, it also garners me those precious steps on my Fitbit. Of course, it helps that the treadmill is conveniently located in our newly renovated study area; I really don’t know what I’m gonna do when school starts; wish I had a treadmill in my classroom! LOL!
Hey! That was 5 Things! Think I can take a bloggy break and reuse this post for this Sunday’s feature? Eheh…