So I’ve been sorely disappointed with the current Hollywood offerings (although it’s thoroughly my bad for not having watched How to Train Your Dragon 2), so today, I give you 5 classic school-themed comedies that are perfect for vacay (read: mindless brain candy) but are also a foreshadowing of things to come (two more weeks for my kids and three more for me and then it’s back to ye ol’ grind).
Note: as humor is so very subjective, please take this list with a grain of salt – or perhaps a bushel if you’re not into lowbrow funniness.
- Ferris Bueller’s Day Off – Yeah, I know it’s so old, it’s already in the $5 bin at Target, but c’mon! This is school hijinks at its finest! Everyone wanted to either “Save Ferris” or be Ferris. And that car…”Do you have a kiss for daddy?” indeed!
- National Lampoon’s Van Wilder – A lot raunchy, a lot racy and you probably don’t want your underage kiddos in the room with you. But what did you expect from from National Lampoon? Also, I think I’m just a sucker for “oh, gosh!” bad boys turned good.
- Animal House – Does this even need an intro from me? This is as classic as classic can get. I learned about toga parties and fraternities from watching this film with my aunts in the Philippines when I was seven! That’s what happens when we don’t follow the ratings system in a developing country.
- Old School – Okay, I may be biased here because this happens to be hubs’ fave movie and when he quotes it verbatim, it never fails to crack me up. But I am gonna call it – this is destined to become a classic. “Earmuffs!” will forever be a signal for bad words at my house.
- Back to School – Rodney Dangerfield and his humor were a bit before my time, and it wasn’t until I married the hubs and he introduced me to this, his second favorite movie, that I was able to appreciate the man’s comedic talent. Loads of one-liners in this flick. And the Triple Lindy? Genius!