OOTD :: of oranges, blues, and discombobulated dissatisfaction

8.1.14

8.1.14

8.1.14

Funny how things work out.

When I was looking through Pinterest for orchids, this was the one I fell in love with because, c’mon! Blue? And orange? Together? That’s my signature color combo!

And when I spied this skirt – another product of a recent Mad Hunt – I knew I had to create an outfit around it. The cardi was a no-brainer because it picked up the blue perfectly, and I thought the orange cami would just pull it all together.

But I just wasn’t feeling it. (See me smiling? Yeah, totally faking it.) There’s something off about this ensemble. I can’t quite put my finger on it. Is it the proportion? The knotting of a cardi (my first and last attempt at it)? The bulky shoes? Maybe I should’ve worn my hair up in a pony? Argh!

It’s way too hot outside for photo shoot redos, however, and I still do love the orchid that inspired it, so I’m posting this as a cautionary tale: sometimes, reality just doesn’t match up to expectations.

Cardi – Target
Tank – F21
Skirt – Tracy Feith @ Target
Wedges – BRASH @ Payless

Friday’s Fab Favorites @ Style Elixir
52 Pick-me-up @ SpyGirl

Tagged , , , , , ,

14 thoughts on “OOTD :: of oranges, blues, and discombobulated dissatisfaction

I love blue and orange together, but I think maybe the combination is too strong for that skirt. Maybe a coral orange with a softer blue would work. And a more feminine cardi. There’s my two cents!

You threw me on “a more feminine cardi”; my mind draws a blank because aren’t most cardis feminine? Or perhaps you meant a more drapey, kimono style? Hrmmm…that’s a thought. I do agree with you on the colors, though. They are definitely too vibrant. I shall play! 😀

2. Love the combination of colours. Your skirt is so pretty, just love the pattern and style.

Thanks for stopping by and for the kind words. I feel very surfer SoCal in this skirt. Perhaps I should style it with that vibe in mind next time.

3. I honestly don’t think there is anything wrong with this look. I like the cardigan tied up like that. But, I’d love to see you remix it!

Kitchens are like this, too. I like the outfit, though.

5. Anne the SpyGirl says:

I see Fall on top, Summer on bottom. Try adding a white necklace?
    Amazing orchid! Thanks for linking!

6. Eh, you’re too picky – this is adorable! That orchid is gorgeous and so are you. ❤

Love the skirt and the colors combo, but I’m not feeling the silhouette either. Maybe with the cardigan untied and flowy? xo