As some of you may know, I’m not a “little kid” person, and in the past, I’ve dreaded summer break because it meant entertaining my kiddos for two long months.
But this summer, as my posts have evidenced, my children have finally crossed the magical threshold and have become actual human beings (I’m being slightly facetious here, mommies, so don’t bite my head off!) and to my delightful surprise, I found I enjoyed hanging out with them.
So although I started off this post thinking I’d do a 5 Things feature on what I’m looking forward to about going back to work (since tomorrow begins my first official day back on the job), I realized I’d rather focus on 5 Things that I’ll miss about the Summer of 21014:
1. Dylan’s gaming – This may seem a weird thing, but I really love watching my son play video games. For the longest time, I feared he’d be one of those weird, geeky, no-one-talks-to-him kids because he was very innocent – dare I say simple? – and wasn’t this rough and tumble sports guy I’d envisioned a son of my husband to be. He was into stuffed animals (he had names for them all) and he still believed in fairies and Santa. I guess he was just a late bloomer because now, he’s very much into his Xbox and his racing games and he’s so very boy and I still marvel at it even as I wonder if this is one of those “be careful what you wish for” scenarios.
2. Aly’s crafting – Much as I hate the mess and the enthusiasm I have to drum up for every single finished object, I do appreciate and admire Aly’s creativity and resourcefulness. The things this gal can do with paper and duct tape amazes me to no end. I suppose I have Pinterest to thank for this, but regardless of where she gets her inspiration, I’m just thrilled that she’s got such single-minded focus for a hobby. I wish she’d been a bookworm like me, but I’ll take passion where I can find it.
3. Yogurtland – ‘Nuff said. Oh, sure – I can still go and grab my taro/salted caramel/pistachio/coconut fix, but it won’t be summer and it won’t be in the middle of the day and it won’t be the same. So yeah, I’ll miss Yogurtland.
4. Getting on the treadmill – Who knew exercise would end up being such an integral part of my day? And to all you nature lovers/running purists who say treadmills are the devil, I have two words for you: Inland Empire. There was no way I’d have gotten an eighth of the running I got this summer without a treadmill – it’s just too damned blazing inferno where I live. And now, I can’t go a day without hopping on the thing, especially since I’ve gotten over my hangup about committing to 30 minutes at a time. Now, whenever I’m bored or full from a meal or stuck on a part in my story, I just hop on the thing, tune in to Pandora on my iPad, and get to running. I really wish I had a treadmill handy at work…
5. :: MCC :: Summer Edition – I loved Treasure Tuesdays! I loved Thrilled for Thursdays! I loved creating only 3 OOTD posts! It was so relaxing and undemanding and laid-back and liberating and damn! Why can’t it be summer all year long? Tomorrow, we go back to our regularly scheduled programming with OOTDs five days a week and I don’t know how I feel about this yet. Only time will tell.