OOTD :: of boots, comfort, and not a Christmas tree

8.29.14

8.29.14

8.29.14

When I think of comfort shoes, I always come back to my cowboy boots.

They’re broken in, scuffed and stretched, and they mold to my feet the way really good quality leather should.

Unfortunately, they stop at the largest part of my calves, and proportion rules dictate that to be a no-no. I’m already fun-sized as it is and cutting me off at this unfortunate point of my silhouette just makes me look visually shorter and stumpier.

Usually, I can mitigate this by going monochrome and wearing similar colored bottoms. Or I just wear them under boot-cut jeans and enjoy comfort over aesthetic. But this really limits me to only wearing pants with these boots. And I don’t do limits.

So today, I’m playing my Woman of a Certain Age card and I’m throwing style protocol out the window. I’ve always loved the look of a flirty dress toughened up with a pair of cowboy boots and I’m going for it. I’m also ignoring the voice in me that always screams “Christmas tree!” when I pair red and green because if I’m going whole hog on the comfort dressing, I want to swallow myself up in a boyfriend cardi and this one is my fave.

This may not be my most fashion-forward ensemble and it may look a bit dated – 80s grunge meets 90s incongruity? – but it’s Friday and I actually want to smile when I stride today.

Dress – Ross
Cardi – Old Navy
Boots – Ariat

Fashion Friday @ All Things Chic

Tagged , , , ,

14 thoughts on “OOTD :: of boots, comfort, and not a Christmas tree

1. I love this. I wouldn’t have thought cowboy boots with this, but it is perfect! And don’t worry about the Christmas thing…it’s not the right shade of green so it’s all good. 🙂
    Debbie

I actually didn’t think cowboy boots either until my barking dogs just mutinied when I threw on a pair of heels. I’d just cleaned out the other half of my closet and the boots were waiting to find their place so on a whim, I tried them out. ;p

Nothing better than broken-in cowboy boots. You look great! xox

3. Alex says:

Your dress is great, but your necklace is better.

Alex – Funky Jungle

4. ADA says:

First of all your dress and monogrammed necklace are gorgeous. You totally styled this perfectly for Fall with the Olive Cardigan and Cowboy Boots. You are looking SUPERB!!

Have a fantastic Holiday Weekend, Maricel!!

❤ Ada.

Thanks, Ada. I hope all is well with you and yours. I shall certainly enjoy my holiday weekend; I feel the need for much imbibing.

5. I think this outfit is pretty cute! I wish I had a boyfriend cardigan to cuddle up in right now. This first week of teaching has been exhausting and I need a nap! Haha.

6. I love boots with a dress AND I love a boyfriend cardigan over a fuller dress. Great look!

Thanks. I wonder if I could be THAT teacher who wore cowboy boots with everything? Because my feet are pretty happy right now and I could stand some happy in my life.

7. The Sartorial Coquette says:

You look beautiful!! I ❤ the combination of dress and boots 🙂
    thesartorialcoquette.com

Why, thank you very much. The added bonus, of course, was the sheer comfort of the outfit. Win-win all around. 😀 Thanks for stopping by!