OOTD :: of pattern mixing, bespoke necklaces, and Invictus

picstitch(5) picstitch(6)picstitch(4)picstitch(8)

I’m thinking I hit it out of the park this week.

Here’s the list: “Striped shirt, skinny jeans, suede boots, a statement necklace and the colors blush pink and grey.”

So let’s take inventory, shall we?

• Striped shirt? Yep!
  • Skinny jeans? My F21 faves!
  • Statement necklace**? You betcha!
  • The color grey? In spades, baby!

And the best part is that even though my look passes on multiple elements and is therefore above and beyond compliant to the linkup, it looks nothing like Whitney’s original ensemble! I think I definitely managed to put my own stamp on it, right down to pattern mixing with my favorite color (plaid), right?

Which goes a long way in proving that fashion is art and interpretive and diverse and unexpected, even when constrained by specific parameters. Whoever says they don’t love clothes might as well be spitting in the face of individualism and expression.

**This necklace was ordered bespoke from the lovely Etsy seller, Suzanne @ PaperHeartGallery, and I cannot recommend her enough! Not only was she able to accommodate my request for the last two lines of my most recently favorite poem, she also worked closely with me to get the perfect combination of font, type setting, background paper and jewelry finish. Shipping – from Minnesota, even! – was super fast, and her prices are super reasonable as well. So three huzzahs for Suzanne! A classy lady who designs classy pieces.

Oh, and p.s. – notice the Chucks? Yeah, baby! It must be Friday!

Vive le vendredi!

Top – Old Navy
Plaid – Mossimo Supply Company @ Target
Cardi – Rodarte for Target
Jeans – F21
Shoes – Chucks

Blogging Besties @ Whitney à la mode and Undergraduate Style

Animal by Neon Trees

19 thoughts on “OOTD :: of pattern mixing, bespoke necklaces, and Invictus

1. I adore all of this cozy casual awesomeness! And that necklace is fantastic. 🙂
    Debbie

2. Dawn Lucy says:

I love a comfy cool look! Fab! Happy weekend!
    OXOX
    Dawn Lucy

3. chessakat says:

Love it! The layers! The rad necklace! The Chucks! (I really really really need to go to Marshalls to look for some!)

Did you just say “rad”? Tee hee! You should watch the new VH1 scripted show Hindsight. And then we can fangirl squee over it. ;p

And yes, dammit! Get thee to a Marshall’s, woman, and find thee a pair of Chucks! (Is it horrid of me to reveal that I came home from work yesterday and found 4 new pairs waiting for me? I HAD to have the colors!)

• chessakat says:

I totally said rad. I commented on someone’s thread on FB last year with a “Coolio!” and got heartily snickered at (in a good way).

I don’t get VH1! I’ll have to see if Hulu+ carries it! Sounds right up my alley.

So envious of all your colors!

What?! Travesty! Isn’t VH1 included in basic cable? Wait, do you have cable? Okay, Amazon has the pilot up for free. Go check it out!

And yes, I have orange and hollyhock left on my list and then I think I shall be satisfied with my collection. For now. ;p

• chessakat says:

We have like 10 channels through our cable. It’s so bad that we don’t even watch it AT ALL (but it’s bundled with our internet and getting rid of it would make our internet inexplicably more expensive. Oh, Comcast). But Netflix, Amazon Prime & Hulu+ does the trick for the most part. But I *do* have to be patient sometimes – still haven’t seen ANY of Capaldi’s DW episodes! Argh!

4. Anne the SpyGirl says:

And the crowd goes wild!

5. I didn’t even realize how many elements you passed on until you listed them because our outfits are so different…but I LOVE that! And I love all of the layering you have going on! I don’t know why it’s never occurred to me to layer an open button-up under a cardigan. Making a mental note to try that sometime!

Oh, I’ve always loved the multiple layering look I see all the time on Pinterest, but either the weather doesn’t cooperate (silly SoCal sun!) or I just never owned the perfect combination of individual pieces that, when combined, wouldn’t be so bulky as to make me look Michelin Man-like. I guess I finally nailed it, eh?

6. Love it! It’s so neat how you used all the same elements but came up with such a different feel!

Which is why I love participating in your weekly linkup. Always look forward to seeing the variety. That said, I’m already planning something with emerald green for next time. ;p

7. And while I also wore a striped top and skinnies (as well as plaid Chucks) my look doesn’t look like either Whitney’s or yours. 🙂 I think everyone cares about clothes in one way or another – some people just don’t realize it.