OOTD :: of circuses, monkeys, and not my problem

“Not my circus. Not my monkeys.”

That’s my new favorite thing to say.

It’s a Polish saying and it basically means “not my problem”, or “eff off!” if you’re feeling spunky. And I think this mantra pretty much sums up my feelings this school year.

Today’s outfit matches the saying on so many levels:

1. The blazer is apparently reminiscent of a circus tent. Or so Aly told me when she saw me choose it over my plain orange cardi.
  2. Blue leopard. ‘Nuff said.
  3. Still trumped by this warming trend, I had to toss my original post for today in favor of a more weather-appropriate outfit, and I wanted to tell the stupid sun to just eff off already because it’s supposed to be spring, not summer, and I literally threw this outfit together in two minutes so ha to you, stupid sun!
  4. And do I care that the dress is just a wee bit short? Not my circus. Not my monkeys.

See how that works?

I know, I know. I’m probably using it incorrectly. My apologies to all my Polish readers out there. But it sure does trip merrily from my tongue and I’m gonna insert it into conversation any chance I get from now on.

So clearly, I chose blue this Tuesday. And you, my friends? British, blue or Doctor Who? Do tell…

tardistuesdaysnewcopy

Dress – F21
Blazer – Luella Bartley for Target
Pumps – Janine @ Payless

1985 by Bowling for Soup

23 thoughts on “OOTD :: of circuses, monkeys, and not my problem

1. Ada says:

Both your blue leopard dress and red-striped blazer are such awesome pieces and so bold and colorful. I would have never thought of pairing them up but they totally work. You look so stylish and sassy!

2. chessakat says:

Love! How in the world did you think to put those two pieces together?! You really are the pattern mixing queen of the universe!

You know, everyone kept asking me that when I wore it and honestly, I don’t even think of patterns as patterns anymore. I just see them as colors. Which is why I can get away with saying that plaid is my favorite color.

But thank you for the promotion. Of the universe even! LOL.

I love its cartoony quality- the coat looks like it could be a 2d drawing! Nice to see patterned TARDIS blue! Hmmm, the collection appears not to be open to adding piccies!
    xx

4. Sheela Goh says:

I do believe, at long last, that I’ve found my style hero.

Oh, my stars! Truly? I’ve never been anyone’s hero before. It’s both daunting and flattering. Thank you. 🙂

5. I’m going to start using this line all.the.time! It applies very well to my school experience too!

It’s so very evocative. And obscure enough that it doesn’t really offend, right? Said with a smile, you could probable get away with it even during a parent conference.

6. The blazer reminds me of Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins – the scene where they’re inside the sidewalk chalk drawing. The dress gives it some edge, for sure.

I love that phrase (phrases)! I’m going to have to use that, although I think I had that same thought with another saying I saw the other day and I already can’t remember it.

Love your outfit, though. You’re almost a Yankee Doodle Dandee, but with a definite edge. If your students behave like they’re in a circus, you’re the right ringmistress to tame them!

Gorgeous! I learned that saying from one of my former patients and “borrowed” it freely afterward : >

I also like the bit about the koalas in the rain. I got that one from a Youtube video via Chessa @ Leveled Up Style. Maybe I ought to make a post for that one. 😀

9. Anne M Bray aka SpyGirl says:

What can I say? You are the best! May I join your circus?