OOTD :: of schizophrenic weather and not-so-unlucky days

This week is brought to you by: “Skinny jeans, a plain white top, lace, layered necklaces, and moccasins”.

For your viewing pleasure, I give you: the plain white top and the layered necklace.

The extra bits: Many, many thanks to Whitney for this week’s inspiration list. Because I would never have put this entire ensemble together had it not been for her.

First off, I am not a white tee person. My “plain white top” would’ve defaulted to a white button up, of which I have a plethora. But button ups don’t lend themselves to showcasing properly the layered necklace – all those buttons and placket get in the way. So I had to use a tee as a base for today’s outfit.

But since I’m uber self-conscious about the way I look in a white tee (uniboob, anyone?) I knew I had to wear other things that would raise my happiness factor. The Chucks on a Friday were de rigeur, of course, but I decided increasing my happiness factor required the debut of my plaid pair. Purchased for less from the boys’ section. Woot!

The Boohoo skater skirt was also a no-brainer, especially on a hot day like today (which, by the way, is why I avoided skinny jeans today; stupid schizo SoCal weather – it was 70 and cloudy earlier in the week and now it’s 90!) and luckily, the first one I grabbed (I have ’em in all colors, remember?) was the navy.

Wait, wot?! Navy, you say?

Why, yes, I say.

White + navy + gold = nautical, you say?

Indeed, I say!

Suddenly, what was potentially an outfit low on the happiness threshold morphed into something superfun and flirty. Top it all off with a lightweight denim jacket as the completer piece (and to combat self-consciousness) and I don’t care that it’s Friday the 13th.

Vive le vendredi!

Tee – Stylemint
Jacket – jcp
Skirt – Boohoo
Necklace – Amazon
Shoes – Chucks

Blogging Besties @ Whitney à la mode and Undergraduate Style
Fun Fashion Friday @ Fashion Should Be Fun

Over My Head by The Fray

21 thoughts on “OOTD :: of schizophrenic weather and not-so-unlucky days

1. That is one EXPERT necklace stack right there! Love it! Thanks for linking up, Maricel!

I love it! The necklace selection is beautiful! WHY don’t I own an arrow necklace. I used to drool over the ones that Megan and Nora bird used to post on their Love*birds post. I think I need one!x

The arrow is a pain in the arse because it keeps coming undone from the circle. Am thinking of jerry-rigging the bastard so it doesn’t do that anymore…

But yes, you ought to own an arrow necklace. And I bet you can totally thrift one that I’ll end up coveting too. ;p

3. Dawn Lucy says:

Great look! Love the layered necklaces and look at you & your pretty legs! And you KNOW I’m dying over the plaid Chucks! Thanks so much for linking up with Fun Fashion Friday! Have a fun weekend!
    OXOX
    Dawn Lucy

I thank my parents every day for their amazing genes and my legs. My best feature by far! I knew you’d appreciate the Chucks. Get ’em in the boys’ department, I tell ya!

4. Anne M Bray aka SpyGirl says:

I “created” some plaid Purcells on the Converse site a while ago. You DO know about their “design your own” feature, right? No? Uh oh. Pandora’s box just opened. I’ll be SLIGHTLY less enabling by NOT posting the link.
    Anyway, I wanted to try on the actual sneakers for comfort before I placed my order. Still stalled at that stage. Still craving plaid for my feets!

I know you can design them but alas, I think you only have their designs to choose from. Bad for me, good for my pocketbook, eh?

5. Sheela Goh says:

Too cool for school. Your kicks look epic, incidentally. I, on the other hand, simply can’t do less than 4.5″. The one time I tried, I resembled a munchkin drag queen on a bad day out. I kid you not.

Oh, but you must give it a try again! If only to invest in one pair of epic Chucks (I’m currently eyeing a Union Jack pair) because Chucks makes everything perfection. I bet you can’t be shorter than my 5’1″ and a couple of lines; come join me in flats fun! You can do it! 😀 (I lived in heels all my life until the 40s hit and then my feet rebelled, btw, so I know the fear of munchkin-ness.)

• Sheela Goh says:

We are precisely the same height, my friend, and around the same age AND we’re both from South East Asia 🙂 I could never wear flats, not even when preggers. When I attempt to get closer to ground level, I actually experience vertigo (and Plantar Fasciitis, no less). The nearest I get to kickers are wedge sneakers. Don’t judge.

6. V says:

Such a cute look

Love the layered necklaces, M. And the sneaks, natch. You’re a Friday star. xo

8. Yay for plaid Chucks! Your layered necklaces are to die for! Is that pre-fab, or do you have a hidden talent?

You inspired the Mad Hunt for plaid Chucks, FIG. I thank you for it. And of course it’s pre-fab – I don’t have the vision or the time to look for and put together individual pieces like this. ;p