OOTD :: of Music Genre Day and punk rock

You wanna know what’s quintessentially British?

Punk.

You wanna take a stab at what musical genre I chose to stylistically interpret for this spirit day on a TARDIS Tuesday?

Punk.

Once I’d put this whole look together, however, I realized it was practically identical to this one and I almost redid the whole thing because we all know how I hate being derivative. But I really love the filter work I’d done on all the photos. And I love the way the socks look super cute with my Docs. And I love how I finally found a red plaid skirt reminiscent of the one I’d worn to interview for my job at my school and how BFF was thoroughly scandalized at the cavalier way I was taking the interview but how I got the job anyway despite (or because of?) my unique ensemble.

So I kept the outfit and will wear it with pride and panache. And adorned with my Union Jack pendant and my signature Vivienne Westwood armor ring, I shall revel in the utter British-ness of it all.

And you, my friend? What ensemble have you got for me today? British, blue or Doctor Who? Do tell…

tardistuesdaysnewcopy

Top – Old Navy
Skirt – Romwe
Cardi – Rodarte for Target
Socks – Target
Shoes – Doc Marten’s

Three Little Birds by Bob Marley

17 thoughts on “OOTD :: of Music Genre Day and punk rock

Like Anne said, you’re too clean to be true punk, but the outfit is perfect anyway. I love the pendant! And I’m not surprised you got the job – you’ve got imagination and flair as well as style!

I must have a romanticized version of “punk” in my head because “dirty” is not an adjective I conjure up when I think of it. But thanks for the compliment; I shall take your comment as such. And yes, that pendant is yet another Etsy purchase from my gal. I’m obsessed with bespoke pendants!

Awww, this is really cute! I like it lots. You are clever to have put this together bearing in mind all the elements. x

3. I so love this! And you are totally my hero for dressing so crazy cool for an interview.
    Debbie

The sad thing is that my current site’s company culture has changed so drastically from then that I bet, had I worn the exact same thing now, I would never have been awarded the position. :/

4. I still assert that you must be the coolest teacher EVER with outfits like this one! And you wore this skirt to interview?!? I wish I had your guts! Just out of curiosity, how did you style it for the interview?

For the interview, I wore knee-high, heeled boots, a short-sleeved white button-up shirt, and a navy argyle vest. In my defense, the interview was in the afternoon and I was coming straight off from working a full day at my previous school.

Yes, it’s a testament to the laxness of SoCal public schools that I wasn’t written up for the outfit, but I was young. Also, my site at the time was huge – over 3K kids – so I bet I just blended in with the crowd.

Still, it confounds me that my current site actually did hire me wearing my “scandalous” outfit, especially since I was in a group interview with two other older teachers wearing three-piece suits. LOL.

5. Anne M Bray aka SpyGirl says:

The linky is wrong! “Starts in 15hr”AAAAAAACK! Anne

6. Anne M Bray aka SpyGirl says:

You are one of the cleanest punks ever! Haha.

I never went to CBGB’s when I lived in NYC, how unpunk of me.
    DID however go to several 80s punk shows in SoCal at Perkins Palace in Pasadena and the Palladium (saw the Ramones! Watched the police in riot gear clear Sunset after the show!).
    I avoided mosh pits, still do. I DESPISE being jostled.

Yep, je deteste le mosh pit! I actually am not even much of a concert goer and would rather watch performers on Palladia in the comfort of my home.

Punk! How I love it. I esp. love that “ladies” around my age tsk-tsk over the music and the clothes, and I still love them. You look fab, xox.

The first thing I thought was, Wow! Is that the skirt from the interview?